Sunday, September 26, 2010

It explains so much

For nearly 30 years, the American Library Association has observed Banned Books Week, an annual tribute to the First Amendment and the "freedom to read." This year's just began; it runs throughout the coming week, September 25 to October 2, 2010.

As to the books chosen, it never makes sense to me. Heck, an organization banning books makes no sense to me. What happened to one's mother coming in to your room and snatching the book away to read for herself? You know - that odd ritual called parenting? It's a parent's responsibility to guide their kids, not the ALA.

Anyway, this year's list contains The Lord of the Rings, Fahrenheit 451, the entire Harry Potter series, The Grapes of Wrath, and Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Say what? Yes, Grimm's Fairy Tales. I read the Brothers Grimm...

So THAT'S what happened to my sense of humor.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I heartily agree. It seems like too many parents want someone else to make sure their kid doesn't read objectionable material,listen to questionable lyrics, etc. I pointed out to someone that people have different values and you can't blanket censor material based on one or a few persons values. It starts with one, then snowballs to something else. LOTR today, Dick and Jane tomorrow. I'm getting grumpy just thinking about it. ;)

KC Kendricks said...

It's one of my pet peeves, too, especially with the Internet. It's not a free, in-house babysitter.

I had this conversation with a friend about the shows Dexter and True Blood. She thinks they're terrible and doesn't want her grandkids to see them when they're at her house.

DUH!! Change the channel! You're the adult!

It makes me nuts.