Friday, July 15, 2011

Obsessions and Old Friends

July 15, 2011

**updated 4/14/21**

There’s something about typing the words, “OLD friend” that makes me want to cringe. I’m still young, so that makes all my friends YOUNG friends, right?

I got a phone call from an old friend today. She’d just seen another old friend and learned I’ve been published. (Yeah, back in 2003!). We’ve been out of touch, obviously.

Anyway, she called with congratulations and we chatted for quite a while. It took an hour out of my day, and at first I was mildly worried about spending that much time at work on a personal call. I had a pile of papers to file, some correspondences to handle, and most importantly, I needed to get out of the office on time on a Friday afternoon. But it worked out fine.

It was good to talk with her and catch up. The years dropped away and we laughed over how mundane our lives truly are. On the drive home, it struck me that she is the second person to call me out of the blue in as many weeks. Must be planetary alignment, or something – something like I spend all my spare time writing. Fast on the heels of that realization was one more indisputable and undeniable truth.

I’m obsessed with all things writing.

Is this a good thing, or a bad thing?

It’s a good thing, at least for me. I spent a lot of my life drifting, unsure of what I wanted to be when I grew up. When I sat down and wrote the very first story, I knew this thing called writing was my passion.

Don’t get me wrong. My “day” career involves helping people and it can be very rewarding. It’s nice to know you’ve made some small difference in a person’s life. This is my job.

What I live for are those moments when the words of a story flow onto the page. This is who I am – a writer.

Obsession or passion - call it what you wish. It will still be a good thing for me. But I think I will look at my calendar and make more time to reconnect with old friends and have some fun. Maybe visit some new restaurants, or take in some local culture. I think it will be good for the writing.

 _*_*_*_*_*_*_

 KC Kendricks

My home on the web- Between the Keys: 
Visit my bookshelf at: 

Social media links:
Life through the eyes of my black Lab, Greenbrier Smokey Deuce: deucesday.blogspot.com
My country life at Holly Tree Manor: hollytreemanor.blogspot.com


No comments: