Thursday, November 22, 2012

Being Thankful


November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving themed blogs will abound today. I wasn't going to throw my hat in the ring, so to speak. If you're a regular reader here at Between the Keys, you already know I'm thankful for the many blessings in my life. But I decided the blogosphere could stand one more little post, especially when I stumbled across the picture above.

Not many people around here put out fancy harvest displays these days. Time was I got some dried corn stalks, colored corn (can you still say Indian Corn without the politically correct police coming after you?), a couple of gourds and pumpkins, and a pot of chrysanthemums, and set them beside the lamp post. Every night when I arrived home from work it was there for me to enjoy. But even I, die-hard country girl and keeper of the old country traditions, have let go of this one. For now.

Life is busy with family and friends, writing and work. We'll drive across the state line in a few hours to share a feast at my sister-in-law's home. This is what really matters - being part of a healthy, growing family. And for this I am truly thankful.

Will I someday resurrect the tradition of a harvest display? I'm sure I will. With years to go it may be foolish to be counting the days until my retirement from the workforce, but I am. I look forward to having the time revisit the things I love doing, like decorating for the changing seasons. 

Until then, I'll remember to give thanks to God, from whom my many blessings flow, for the bounty in my life.

KC


Life through the eyes of Greenbrier Smokey Deuce: deucesday.blogspot.com

No comments: