Wednesday, April 17, 2013

O is for Open Roads - 2013 A-Z Blogging Challenge

A to Z Blogging Challenge

It's All About the Books

April 17, 2012
Day 15

Welcome to Between the Keys and my little corner of the 2013 A-Z Blogging Challenge. It’s been a lot of fun so far, and I’m happy to have all the readers along for the ride.

Every writer ends up with a few books that are special to them and Open Roads is one that is special to this author. Everything about the book flowed and that’s a rarity for me since I angst over details, many of which I don’t really need to in my quest to paint a picture for the reader. The end result, in Open Roads, is a story I’ve never reread and thought I missed a chance to add this, that, or something else. It still works for me just as it is.

Open Roads became the second book in the Men of Marionville series. I know I’ve said it before, but I was reluctant to admit I had a series going. A trilogy - yeah, maybe - but the whole thing took off with me. With six books in the series, I took a little hiatus, but I'm headed back to Marionville  before the year’s out (unless I simply wear out from trying to get all my ideas on the pages).


*_*_*_*_*
Open Roads is available at AmazoniTunesBarnes & NobleKobo and other online book sellers.
Tyler Phillips enjoys his small town life. He’ll never get rich working the family business, but he knows there’s more to a man than the size of his bank account. Easing into mid-life, Tyler’s restless for something he can’t find in the little borough of Easton – male companionship.

Noel Springs got caught up in the economic downturn. His job gone, and retirement a lot of years in the future, Noel decides to take a long drive and see some of the country before dedicating himself to finding new employment. The open road is just what he needs right now.

When his car overheats outside the little town of Easton, Noel discovers the local mechanic is hotter than his radiator, and just as eager to blow off some steam.

INTRO: (from Tyler's point of view)

“Nice car. How far back did the trouble start?”

He leaned inside and pulled the release lever. Little lines crinkled at the corners of his eyes as he smiled. “About forty-one years.”

I grinned at him, already liking his sense of humor as I lifted the hood. A wave of steam engulfed us. I hastily closed my eyes and stepped back to keep the antifreeze-laden vapor from leaving a film on my contact lenses. “Come inside. We’ll let that cool down so I can take a look at her.”

“You’re going to tell me it’s the radiator, aren’t you?” His clear tenor held just a trace of the west as he followed me into what passed as a reception area and office combined. I opened the soft drink case.

“What would you like, on the house? And don’t panic yet.” Based on the way the steam smelled, I suspected his radiator would be fine, but what was inside it was not.

“Too late. I panicked about five miles ago when the temperature gauge shot up. You can’t imagine how relieved I was to see your sign. I’ll take coffee, if you have it.”

I popped the cap and handed him a cola. “Sorry. It’s a little late in the day for any to be left in the pot.” I grinned at him. “And I hear that a lot about my strategically placed sign out there on the Interstate.”

His grey gaze held my hazel one captive as I held out my hand to him. “Tyler Phillips, owner-operator.”

Strong fingers closed around mine, holding my hand a moment too long for politeness. “Noel Springs, stranded motorist.”

OPEN ROADS

Open Roads is available at AmazoniTunesBarnes & NobleKobo and other online book sellers.


KC Kendricks
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/kckendricks
Read my personal blog: http://www.kckendricks.blogspot.com


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your first person POV. It's part of why I wrote Maxie in first person. You have such a way with this POV. :)

KC Kendricks said...

Thanks! I really enjoyed Maxie Briscoe. You did a great job with that. I like first person POV because it forces you deep inside the character. I've written a few third-person stories lately just so I wouldn't forget how to do it, but I'm going back to first person as soon as the current WIP is done. Thanks for stopping by the blog!

Elise Fallson said...

Hey, dropping in to try and catch up. (: Glad I did. Nice excerpt you've shared with us, I really like the way you write dialogue.

KC Kendricks said...

Thanks, Elise, and thanks for stopping by the blog today.