Saturday, June 8, 2013

A June Wedding

June 8, 2013

Today marks what would have been my parent's 58th wedding anniversary. My parents met when my father's sister married my mother's brother a few years earlier. The wedding was a small, private affair as my mother has never been fond of the "big and splashy" anything. The marriage lasted until my father's death in 1983.

This is one of only five pictures I have of that day. Mom's dress was tea-length with lace overlay and must have been expensive for its time, one of the few store-bought dresses she had up to that point. (Mom was an excellent seamstress in her day and we both dressed well for pennies.)

I wonder what my parents would be like together today. I know I'd no longer be embarrassed by their antics. Being older and hopefully wiser, I look back at them and realize how lucky I was to have parents who chased each other around the house.  How I ended up an only child is a real mystery.

Their future didn't work out as planned on June 8, 1955, but they made the best of the time they had together, and that's a lesson we should all take to heart.

No comments: