Tuesday, April 15, 2014

M is for Magnolia in the A -Z Blogging Challenge

April 15, 2014

2014 A to Z Blog Challenge
Day 13
A Rural Life

M is for Magnolia

We’ve made it to week #3 and the halfway mark of the 2014 A to Z Blogging Challenge. This is the fourth year I’ve participated in the challenge and this year I’m focusing on A Rural Life. 
Thanks for coming along for the ride in the 2014 A to Z Blogging Challenge.

_*_*_*_*_*_

The word magnolia conjures up images of the Deep South. One can easily imagine stately old homes with huge magnolias blooming at the far end of the garden. Nothing says “southern” the way magnolias do.

We had a magnolia tree in the yard where I grew up. The story goes while visiting the southern branch of the family, my grandparents stopped along a country road in Georgia and dug it up. Family in Georgia vowed and declared it wouldn’t grow in the cold winters of western Maryland, but it did. It grew to a majestic seventy feet tall. (Us kids stopping jumping over it and getting our butts smacked when it reached about two feet.)

When I built my house I tried and tried and tried to get a seed from that tree to sprout and grow. Every attempt failed. A dear friend offered to buy me a potted sapling but I explained it wouldn’t be the same.

As with all things, the magnolia died. The strange thing is my grandfather died in March and by July of that same year, without warning, the magnolia died, too. It sort of makes my wonder what magic elixir he used on it to keep it healthy.

I was looking through my photo files and stumbled across a picture of a magnolia bloom. It makes me think history should repeat itself the next time we make a trip to Georgia. I’ll toss a shovel in the trunk, just in case, and see if my stepson can find an empty country road with a very young magnolia tree.

 _*_*_*_*_


 You didn’t really think you’d get away without one more brief book promo, did you?

M is also for the MEN OF MARIONVILLE  series. For more information please visit my website at http://www.kckendricks.com/MarionvilleSeries.html

KC Kendricks

No comments: