Saturday, May 9, 2015

Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme

May 9, 2015

Are you going to Scarborough fair
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
Remember me to one who lives there
She once was a true love of mine

I grew up at the tail-end of the 1960s counter culture. I was too young to fully understand the political implications of the times, but youth didn't prevent me from embracing the music just for the music.

"Scarborough Fair" by Simon and Garfunkel is one of those songs that has stuck with me. From the vocal arrangement to the instrumentals, it's simply a lovely song. Many years ago I wanted to plant a few herbs in a strawberry jar because strawberries refused to grow in my grandmother's old terra cotta pot. It makes no sense, but there it is. So what herbs to plant. Immediately the words to the song came to mind.

Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme...

Every year I plant the jar the same. Six red begonias to honor my grandmother's love of red and of begonias, and parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme in the top. It's a tradition, one I plan to always keep.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: