Wednesday, April 6, 2016

E is for Every Day (A to Z and IWSG)

Day 5
April 6, 2016

Welcome to the first Wednesday of the 2016 A to Z Blogging Challenge and, since it’s the first Wednesday of the month,
 the Insecure Writer’s Support Group.


To explain a bit, the A to Z Blogging Challenge takes place in April. Bloggers follow the alphabet, A to Z, every day except Sundays. So it’s twenty-six blogs in twenty-six days.   This is the SIXTH year I’ve participated in the challenge and I’ve completed every year, one hundred percent, on time. 

The Insecure Writer’s Support Group is rather self-explanatory. On the first Wednesday of the month, everyone who has joined the group (the blog hop) posts a blog with some sort of writing wisdom. It can be advice or personal experience as long as it pertains to the art of writing.

So…to combine both, today’s topic is “E is for Every Day.” As in write something every day.

I’ve already touched on this in another A to Z blog. I’ve always questioned the wisdom of hammering it in on novice writers the importance of writing every day. I know we’d like to see each and every “newbie” develop the good work habits necessary to succeed. But, and I zipped over to the folder and counted, I’ve written a total of seventy-seven (77) books under two pseudonyms. That includes eight in partnership with Christianne France.
I did not, and I do not, write something every day.

Each writer has to strike a balance between their passion for writing and everything else in their life. Time is at a premium for all of us. What works for me is this: Be about the business of writing every day.

Every day I do something in regard to my writing life. It may be a character bio, or a plot worksheet. If I have an edit to do, I don’t get anything else done that evening and I don’t beat myself up over it. I may be filling out those blasted publisher forms on a new submission. If it’s a book I’m putting out indie, I may be working on the cover. I might be blogging or doing promo. It varies from day-to-day and that’s just okay. Even if I’m taking some “dithering” time (downtime) on the patio it’s very likely I’m thinking about writing.

To be about the business of writing every day. That’s what works for me.

* * *


E is also for Emory from Doors of Time! What sort of writer would I be if I didn't do a little promo? 

Doors of Time is available at
AmazoniTunes/AppleBarnes and NobleKobo,
and other online booksellers. 

Doors of Time - a second chance at love takes time. 

KC Kendricks



2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good point! Even if we are doing something that contributes to us as a writer other than writing, it still counts.
Hope you're having fun with the Challenge!

KC Kendricks said...

Thanks for stopping by the blog! I've enjoyed the Challenge every year so far. It's a lot work, but I always feel good when I load the letter Z. I can give myself an "atta-girl" and move on to the next project.