Friday, April 15, 2016

M is for Mountain Climbing

April 15, 2016
Day 13

2016 A to Z Blogging Challenge

When you stand at the foot of the mountain and look up, how long do you estimate it will take to climb to the top? Do you think about how many steps it might take? It’s a daunting task, climbing a mountain.

I have a good friend who sees everything in life as a mountain to climb. She has an “all or nothing” personality. After many years, she’s learned to look at the mountain and then scale it in achievable steps. She still won’t tell herself she’s doing good until she reaches the top, but she’s at least making progress.

While it may sound simplistic to break a large task into smaller steps, it’s one of the ways I keep my sanity. I know a fifty thousand-word book will not be written in a day. I can’t even do it in a month. I know I have to break the work into pieces of maybe one thousand words a day. The only way for me to reach the summit of the mountain is to accomplish the climb a little bit at a time. And I actually think I enjoy reaching the top more that way.

Each step up the mountain is intentional. It can be examined, savored. It gives me time to look at alternate paths. The mountain may be high, but in the end, I'll own it. 

 KC Kendricks

*_*_*_*

M is also for the Men of Marionville


I didn't set out to write a series. I set out to write a story that included a main character who had a long history with his friends. It was a short step from the original concept to series. Each story stands alone -none are sequels in the strictest usage of the word.

As I write this I can't say how many more stories will be set in Marionville. I do know there will be more. If you like reading a series in order, it’s A HardHabit to Break, Open Roads, What You Don’t Confess, Your Whisper in the Dark, ACat Named Hercules, Leather Jackets, Station to Station and Dreams to Sell

Check it out on my website using the Marionville series link just above. 

No comments: