Friday, June 30, 2017

Life is a constant re-set in thinking

June 30, 2017

Reaching the halfway mark in any given year always seems to catch folks by surprise. Everyone I know comments on how fast the time “flies” by. I certainly wonder about it. Was I somehow not paying attention every day? I was. Days filled with things to accomplish do pass quickly when we’re absorbed in our tasks.

That’s not a bad thing. I’m passing 2017 in what feels like yet another career re-set. Looking back, the first reset came in 2007, after the Triskelion debacle. That’s when KC came into being. Skip ahead to 2013 and I read the writing on the wall in a post from my then publisher, Amber Quill Press, now defunct. It was time to learn how to create my own covers and prepare to become an independent.

That publisher closed at the end of 2015 and I re-set as an indie author. The dedicated march to republish my entire backlist continues. A surprise in this endeavor has been the reception of my early work as Rayne Forrest. I republished those works more to please myself than anything else and apparently there are readers out there who remember the brand.  So there’s another reset.

Maybe it’s a good thing to re-set some parts of your life, especially if you can prepare for them. My recent birthday brought to light some ambivalence with the idea of early retirement.  There have been changes at the day job and going to work is fun again. If I could take Deuce to work with me, it would be perfect. Maybe I’m not ready to reset that part of my life and I've been adamant about retiring at the earliest opportunity. That’s a re-set in my thinking and planning.

All these resets have been educational. The more I learn about the publishing industry, and life in general, the better equipped I am to make the right choices. Opinions abound about where the industry is going but those opining tend to look at how those changes effect the “big name” writers. They bypass those of us writing for the joy of writing a story we want to read.

Perhaps if we could get the naysayers to give themselves a reset and find a little romance for them, the world would be a better place.

Ultimately, that’s what writers attempt to do. Whatever world we create for ourselves and our readers, we weave the story until it can reset and continue on in a better way. I think that’s worth doing.

KC Kendricks

My home on the web- Between the Keys: http://kckendricks.blogspot.com
twitter.com/kckendricks
facebook.com/kckendricks
pinterest.com/kckendricks/boards
instagram.com/kc_kendricks
My country life at Holly Tree Manor


No comments: