Saturday, July 3, 2010

Who gets paid for doing the work?


July 3, 2010

I subscribe to a few Google alerts, and am constantly amazed at the garbage...er...interesting facts that come my way. The name of this blog, Between the Keys, has made me a psuedo expert on Alicia Keys, whoever she is. It's actually fun to see where some of the links take me. Usually.

This morning, a new alert for Seducing Light popped up in my mailbox, so of course I clicked. It turns out, it's just a Joyfully Reviewed copy of an old review, posted on blogger to generate a click through to the Seducing Light buy page at Amazon.

Say..what? A review site generating money for itself off my book? Maybe. Anyone could have copied that review and posted it on blogger to get the click-through kick-back. I do wonder.

I do wonder what my publisher is going to say.

I do know what I am going to say to my publisher.

Attempting to keep my perspective, it IS a good review of Seducing Light, which is a good book, if I do say so myself. It's my second favorite right after Tango in the Night. Joyfully Reviewed gave it high praise, and this reposted review goes so far as to give it a 5 out of 5 ranking.

So here's the thing. If you'd like to own a copy of Seducing Light, why not purchase it from the publisher who worked with me to get the book ready for sale? We did the work. I wrote it. A joint effort with an editor polished it. The publisher created the stunning cover for it.

It's time to pay the people who work, not work the system.

No comments: