Saturday, December 12, 2009

Rebel, Rebel

I usually balk at being part of the In Crowd. I’m not into trends, the newest restaurant, or the latest ‘must see’ movie. I drive a ten-year-old Chevy 4x4 that still runs like a champ, and when everyone wanted to build a castle, I opted for a tiny fifteen-hundred square foot rancher that doesn’t take much to heat, cool and keep clean. Don’t look for me to wear clothes with a designer label in this lifetime.

So why is it I like the band Billboard just named the Band of the Decade? Yeah, yeah, Chad Kroeger’s butt is a work of art in black denim, but that’s beside the point. (Yes, I looked! Call me a dirty old woman!)

By all accounts, no one in the world should like Nickelback. I’ve never, ever read a review of their music that wasn’t a direct attack on their musical talent. Or supposed lack thereof. Yet they’ve sold over 30 million albums worldwide and gotten at least one Grammy nomination. How can anyone, or group, possibly be that popular when the all-important holy grail of reviewer opinion is against them?

Could it be because at a time when the world is obsessed with “political correctness,” those boys are out there just doing what they want to do the way they want to do it - without apology?

I think so. And I think that’s why I like them.

KC Kendricks
http://www.kckendricks.com

No comments: