Friday, March 22, 2019

Spring Equinox 2019

March 21, 2019, at noon
March 22, 2019

Spring has sprung, so they say. As welcome as it is I will still complain and say it was a long time getting here. I've been waiting for months! 

My mother and I both grew up country girls through and through. Her father was born in 1910 and his mother in 1886. They were even more country, working the land to feed family and have income. My grandfather religiously purchased an Almanac every year and planted by the signs. Mom and I had outside employment and so we planted when we had time, but that's another tale. 

Mom and I didn't bother with astronomical signs but we did pay attention to the weather. Here in western Maryland, the vernal equinox brings rain. We watched and observed, and discussed the occurrence. Spring can be as early as March 19 or as late as March 21, but on one of those days, there will be precipitation. This year, the weatherman said the rain would begin around five p.m. on March 20. Coincidentally, the official start time for Spring was 5:58 DST, so maybe the weather folks were hedging their bets. The rain actually began at six a.m. on March 21 and lasted for about twenty-four hours. 

Being curious about many trivial matters, I went to wikipedia to find out why it is it always rains at the vernal equinox. 

I still don't know. Subsolar points? Time slippage? Sidereal time? Right ascension? Refraction of light rays? Equal amounts of day versus night? Whatever. 

All I know is the old adage passed down from a woman born in 1886 has once again proven true. It rained like hell at the vernal equinox. 


KC Kendricks
www.kckendricks.com
http://kckendricks.blogspot.com
twitter.com/kckendricks
facebook.com/kckendricks
pinterest.com/kckendricks




No comments: