Sunday, July 14, 2024

Does it need comment?


July 14, 2024

Yesterday, former president Donald Trump held a political rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, and was nearly assassinated. I learned about it when a girlfriend called. She signed off to watch the news. I was luckier. I went to YouTube because I knew multiple reports with first-hand videos would be posted, and discovered Mike Morgan had just started a live stream. I was a little surprised to learn he actually attended the rally and was there when the shots were fired. I listened to his first-hand account and not what the news media spewed forth. I hope YouTube allows him to leave the video online. 

Does this evil thing, this deliberate attempt to take a life, need comment? Perhaps it does. 

It is not "okay" to murder a person simply because you don't care for their opinions. It is not "okay" to murder a person because you don't like the political party to which they espouse. Don't like the color of a person's hair? Don't like the shoes they wear? Shake the sand off your sandals and walk away. 

I'm more aligned with the Libertarian point of view than with the Asses and the Elephants. Libertarians feel that personal freedoms and personal responsibilities are important. Mainstream politics not only divide us, but restrain us. We need to break free of that bondage because that's what our obsession with politics is - bondage. Our personal liberties, our freedoms, are paramount. 

I'm not a Trump supporter or a Trump hater. The man exists and he's living his life. Fair enough. 

I find it astonishing (and maybe I shouldn't be surprised) that so many people believe it would be acceptable to assassinate a former president. Don't they know what that will do? Assassinating this man will elevate him to the status of JKF, RFK, and MLK. Just the attempt elevates him to stand beside Ronald Regan. I doubt that was the intention, but here we are. 

The next few months will prove educational. My plan is to observe the people around me and tread carefully. I will not engage in political debate. I fear if I do, I may lose respect for some of those people I have considered friends. 

Yes, it's a sad day that it has come to this. Hate has brought us here. I thought we were better than this. 

KC Kendricks


No comments: