Saturday, August 17, 2013

Taking Crack to the family reunion

August 17, 2013

Today is the annual family reunion. I'm all showered with some Bath & Body Works Honey Autumn Apple (to smell good for the yellow jackets and other assorted bees), my hair is freshly colored, my legs are shaved - is this too much information? I'll stop.

Every year it's the same old thing. Do I take something? Do I not? I'm an in-law so the planning goes on around me without really including me. That's okay. Let the sisters duel it out. You know of what I speak. Besides, it's their gig. I have my own. Anyway...

I wanted to make a big batch of Crack to take. Really. Crack. We're addicted to the stuff and it's so easy and cheap to make, it's almost a staple at our house. I suggested this to my partner and he gave me "the look." 

"The girls said we should bring two big bags of Doritos. We're taking Doritos."

Okay. Scratch the Crack - for this year. Why? Because like any addict, the man doesn't want to share his Crack. 

Just in case you'd like to make some Crack and see what happens at your house, here's the recipe.

KC Kendricks

_*_*_*_


Trisha Yearwood's Crack

This is incredibly easy to make but be warned - it lives up to it's name - crack. If you make it, you WILL eat it.

You will need:

Saltine crackers - enough to cover a cookie
sheet
1 stick of butter
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup (or the whole freaking bag) of your
favorite chocolate chips

Line the cookie sheet with foil. Spritz it with a butter-flavored cooking spray. Cover with a single layer of saltines, salted side down. (Tip: don't add extra salt)

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add brown sugar, stirring constantly. When the mixture is liquid and bubbly and has turned into caramel, pour it over the crackers, covering each one as evenly as possible.

Put the cookie sheet in a hot oven until the caramel begins to bubble again. WATCH IT CLOSELY! Quickly remove from oven. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. When the chips get really soft, spread the chocolate over the top. Chill, or even freeze a few minutes, to set the chocolate. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.

Don’t bother to freeze it. It won’t last that long. 

No comments: