Sunday, October 12, 2014

How to Celebrate Anniversaries (or not)

October 12, 2014


Autumn is here. I took a stroll along familiar paths and it's easy to discern the signs that winter will be here early. Many of my neighbors must think so, too. The sound of chainsaws echo off every hillside as they lay in firewood. We overstocked last year so we aren't adding to the cacophony of buzzing sounds. 

Today marks a few passages in time for me and the family. It's just part of the progression of days to me but some folks get excited about it. I mark it on my calendar, but it's just another day. I think anniversaries meant much more when they were new(er). 

Give me the Hallmark card and let's get on with it. 

A different event in our day happens this afternoon. The youngest of my beloved's grandsons will receive an achievement award and we've been invited to attend the ceremony. This is nothing new being he's the fourth grandson to get this same award, but we will go and applaud his success. 

Personally, I think his real success has been surviving the "lessons" of his older brothers, but I digress...

Read more about our first attendance at one of these events in the "How it's not nice to prank your kids" blog entry. I still think about that day and laugh. 

***

On the writing front, I finally finished Ace, Deuce, Trey, the third installment in the Ian Coulter's Amethyst Cove series. I spent most of the summer tinkering with the story and then decided the old writer's adage was applicable: I wrote the story for me. So it's a long story and the characters act like who I really want them to be. Look for Ace, Deuce, Trey in December 2014. That gives you time to read Double Deuce and then Deuce of Diamonds so you're all caught up on the action. 

I've got two new stand-alone stories underway. Those ideas interfered with completing Ace, Deuce, Trey in a more timely fashion, but that's the life of a writer. New "voices" can be very persistent when they pop up. One of the stories has a March 1, 2015, submission deadline at Amber Quill/Amber Allure so I can take my time, but it's best if I get it finished early. It will be part of a PAX next year. 

The other came about when I realized the title I'd given a blog was a perfect title/idea for a book. So I changed the blog title and banged out the first 3500 words of the story. It's waiting for me to get over this busy weekend and settle down to writing again. The dark winter evenings are good for writing provided one can overcome the urge to hibernate. 

And so it goes this brisk autumn morning. I think I'll go bake something. It seems like the thing to do to warm up the house. Pumpkin spice cookies, anyone?

KC Kendricks
http://www.kckendricks.com
http://www.twitter.com/kckendricks
http://www.facebook.com/kckendricks
http://www.pinterest.com/kckendricks

No comments: