Monday, December 3, 2012

Temptation Ride

December 3, 2012

For the record, I love my Charger. Great car. Fast, corners on a rail. Paid for. But today I took a ride down memory lane in a 1974 Challenger.

High school was a few years ago and I almost didn't recognize the driver when the car stopped. I had the fleeting thought that KD had a car just like that back in the day - and then he got out of the car, waved at me, and asked if I was who he thought I was.  Deja vu, boys and girls.

Or maybe a ghost. I was in, of all places, a cemetery searching for evidence of an ancestor. It seems my high school acquaintance is into genealogy, too, and was on a similar mission. (We traded a few notes in case we stumble across something helpful to the other but I know I'll never hear from him if he does.) Anyway, this guy has had his Challenger since he was a high school senior. Amazing. That's almost 40 years.

And it still rumbles, be still my heart!

We took a little spin around the block and laughed as we passed that Prius.... good times...




It was nice to see this fellow, even so briefly, but it opened a can of worms for me. The new Challengers are so retro I really want one. And getting inside a car I dreamed of a ride in when I was in high school hasn't helped. Never mind I didn't make the cut in high school. The guy doesn't make the cut now. But his car still does.  How's that for poetic justice?

I guess I'll keep my Charger for a while longer. It might be a few years old, but the milage is low and I know how well it's been treated. And it's paid for.

Damn, I hate being a resonsible adult and resisting the tempation ride.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love those Challengers. I want a 1970 white Kowalski special. ;) Though I've got a new one in mind...Maybe I'll sell some books and get one sooner rather than sometime down the road. But I want one, I want one, I want one...

KC Kendricks said...

Now that movie is a blast from the past. Barry..who? Thanks for stopping by!