Thursday, November 19, 2015

Step away... and away

November 19, 2015


A few weeks ago I got a Fitbit Flex. It’s one of those little gizmos you wear on your wrist, like a watch. It counts your daily steps and sends the info to an app on the device of our choice. I have the app on my cell phone because it’s always handy.
 
The app tells you all sorts of things. It ties into MyFitnessPal.com and together the two apps will drive you nuts provide steps walked, how many miles walked, active minutes, calories burned, how well you slept and how many pounds to go until you reach your weight loss goal (if you set that one).

I told myself I wasn’t going to get all caught up on the craze to take 10,000 steps a day.

Aye. Right.

It seems I like the daily challenge of feeling the gizmo vibrate on my wrist. For the past week, starting with last Thursday, my totals are:
Thursday    (11/12)            11,574
Friday         (11/13)            10,659
Saturday     (11/14)               5,480 (rain)
Sunday       (11/15)            10,664
Monday      (11/16)              7,875 (homeowner “stuff” needed done)
Tuesday      (11/17)            10,125
Wednesday (11/18)            11,194

That’s not too shabby for a woman with a desk job during the day and a writer gig in the evening. A quick twenty-minute walk before work, and a good thirty-ish minute walk during my lunch hour puts me within striking distance of 10K. The incidental trips around the building, up and down the stairs, picks up the rest.  But now I’ve discovered - there’s more.

I just found out there’s a 15K step badge you can earn. Maybe I need to step away from the gizmo before I hurt myself. 

KC Kendricks
www.kckendricks.com
twitter.com/kckendricks
facebook.com/kckendricks

Have you joined my mailing list? No chatter, just news.
Send an email to:
betweenthekeys-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

No comments: