Monday, June 25, 2018

One memory restored; a project half completed

June 25, 2018

A while back I finally came into possession of my late grandmother's Eastlake platform rockers. They're a part of my history and memories so I was delighted to get them even though they weren't in the best condition. They had a black lacquer finish and I've set out to repaint and restore them to their glossy best. I decided to work on the one in the worst condition first, Pop's chair, and it's finally finished and sitting in a place of honor in my sunroom office. 

Not everything worked the way I'd planned. Getting the seat and back cushions made proved beyond my skillset. It didn't matter what I did, the end result was sloppy. I gave in and purchased matching seats and backs for both chairs. Red was my grandmother's favorite color so red was the only possible choice. 

The chairs sat facing each other at the large windows in my grandmother's sunny kitchen. When they're both finished, they will sit facing each other in my sunroom.


Maybe the spirits of my grandparents will come and sit with me while I'm working. Or, more likely, I'll simply pretend they're here.  They were married for sixty-six years. Pop outlived Mam by eight years but I like to think of them as always together. Whenever I stopped to see him, he always told me to sit "in Jean's chair." 

And so I'll sit in Jean's chair again, very soon. That pleases me.

KC
www.kckendricks.com
twitter.com/kckendricks
pinterest.com/kckendricks
facebook.com/kckendricks

No comments: