Sunday, May 21, 2023

When writing takes a back seat


 May 21, 2022

It's difficult to imagine I've been retired for a year! I'm actually between two anniversaries - the day I walked out the door for the last time on May 19, 2022, and the day of my retirement reception on May 22, 2022. It's been quite a year. Time has, as they say, flown by.

One of the major pillars of my retirement plan involved my writing career. I planned to set aside a block of time each day for writerly pursuits. It hasn't happened. I've been too busy. 

Now don't scoff. Take a hop over to http://hollytreemanor.blogspot.com and catch up. 

We have three beautiful acres to tend. My partner is in a wheelchair so "if it is to be, it is up to me." The responsibility for ninety-five percent of the home and garden chores is on my shoulders. I don't mind. I enjoy mowing, splitting wood, and other outdoorsy pursuits, but they do keep me from writing and blogging. I've been busy getting my little container garden planted, fertilized, and watered this time of year. 

The spousal unit has "suggested" that I need to cease the attempt to complete every chore in just one day. He may be correct, but there is a lot to do and I prefer to do it before the heat of summer forces me inside. I know better than to do yardwork when the temperature gets above eighty degrees Fahrenheit. His heart may be in the right place, but I doubt it. He wants me to spend my days waiting on being with him and doing his projects. 

I find myself doubting I have the discipline needed to get back to writing every day. Can I really set a cut-off time on my chores and come to the computer and write? Will I be able to concentrate on a story when there are chores left undone, or worse, only half done? 

This retirement thing isn't quite what I thought it would be. Only half of my vision is in focus and I'm floundering. How do I bring clarity to the part of the plan that is writing? 

I knew the first year of "retirement" would be transitional. I just didn't know it would be so hard on something I love so much.

_*_*_*_*_*_*_


Social media links:
Snips and clips on my YouTube channel: KC Kendricks Between the Keys
Life through the eyes of my black Lab, Greenbrier Smokey Deuce: deucesday.blogspot.com
My country life at The Hideaway/Holly Tree Manor: hollytreemanor.blogspot.com


KC Kendricks, Between the Keys, a writer's life, contemporary romance, LGBT gay romance, m/m romance, writing, blogging, country lifestyle, rural living, romance books for Kindle, handicapped spouse, retirement woes

No comments: