Sunday, September 22, 2024

The empty garden, first day of Autumn

September 22, 2024

Today is the first day of autumn, according to the calendar. According to the astronomical calendar, fall begins with the autumnal equinox, which happened at 8:43 AM in my neck of the woods.Today we will have equal minutes of day and night. Historically, we will also have rain, which we did in the middle of the night. Meteorologists use a different method (for everything or so it seems) based on temperatures. Astronomers base the equinox when the sun appears directly about the equator. Confused yet? 

In my area, the first day of autumn is the unofficial end to the gardening season. I went through the garden yesterday (it was a beautiful day to be outside) and pulled everything but the annual flowers. Those will be good until the first hard frost. Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'll transplant a few strawberry runners into the Greenstalk planter. 


This was a hard summer to live through. Ron passed, the garden was a bust, it became necessary to drill a new well, and I struggled to complete simple tasks. Now I'm looking at the empty garden and feeling grateful for the opportunity to plan for next year and a garden that will be very different from past years. Everything will be "new" except for the strawberry bed. 

This year, the end of the garden has created a clean canvas for me to repaint in shades of green, red, yellow, and white. I learned a lot from every failure this year, and with the few successes. Spaghetti squash? Never again! I'm sick of eating the stuff! 

I think having so many options may be detrimental in the long run. I don't need to plant many tomatoes now. Or cucumbers and peppers. I can grow different varieties of leafy greens. And herbs! I can grow all the herbs I want! I may even attempt onions again now that I know about short day vs. long day. Yes, it's a new way of gardening - gardening for one. 

But for today, I think I'll simply keep an eye on my empty garden, viewing it through the window. There's no point rushing the planning today. I'll save it for January when the seed catalogs are available. There's no better way to while away cold January than with a catalog and a cup of coffee. 

Try it sometime! 

 _*_*_*_*_*_*_

KC Kendricks
My home on the web- Between the Keys: 
http://kckendricks.blogspot.com
Visit my bookshelf at: 
https://kckendricks.blogspot.com/p/bookshelf.html

Social media links:
Snips and clips on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@KCKendricks
Life through the eyes of my black Lab, Greenbrier Smokey Deuce: deucesday.blogspot.com
My country life at The Hideaway/Holly Tree Manor: hollytreemanor.blogspot.com


Between the Keys, KC Kendricks, contemporary gay romance, m/m romance, gardening, Autumn, autumnal equinox, LGBT gay, future tense, Greenstalk, a writer's life

No comments: