Tuesday, June 2, 2015

We're saying no to the home improvement center

June 2, 2015

Every year I indulge in a lengthy spring vacation. Memorial Day is a holiday so it makes sense to me to use that as a way to stretch out some time off. This year I added two extras days just because I could. 

This year, I should have just said no to a vacation. It's not like I really had one. For the first time in my life I'm not feeling depressed about going back to work tomorrow. What happened? you ask.  Oh, where to begin....

My beloved has a few physical limitations that have caused him to fall getting into and out of a bathtub. To remedy this, we decided to install a walk-in shower unit. We're pretty handy around the house, and I'm physically able and strong plus pretty good with tools, so we figured it was an easy two or possibly three day job. Take the tub out, put the shower in. 

WRONG.

First off I paid LOWE'S HOME IMPROVEMENT to deliver the shower unit. I paid them $75.00 American. We opened the box containing the back wall of the shower and discovered they delivered a DAMAGED product. I called Lowe's and explained it was damaged and we needed a new one delivered immediately. I explained I live in a one bathroom house, my husband is partially disabled, and we couldn't bathe. In a nutshell, LOWE'S REPLIED TOO BAD MY TOUGH LUCK.  They had another unit in the store but they wouldn't deliver it until the day after tomorrow, between 6 and 8 PM. We know they had another unit because we went to look. 

And they refused to correct their mistake for two days? 

Say what? 

I guess our days of spending money at Lowe's are over. Western Maryland has a lot of other home improvement centers. Why, there's a new outfit setting up shop in the old Lowe's building on Maryland Avenue in Hagerstown. Have to check that out. 

The shower is now installed and working but not without more difficulties. It's made by Kohler, a respected name, but don't let that fool you, either. The dimensions were a solid one-half inch off. This required "modifications." 

In the interim, I was able to wash in the sink and dunk my head under the kitchen sink faucet to wash my hair. My husband was not so fortunate. He can't bend like that. 

I'm trying to tell myself it's okay because it all worked out. My husband can now step into the shower and sit down. The risk of injury has greatly decreased. Heck, I like using his little chair to sit and shave my legs. Yea! A silver lining. 

But the fact of the matter is it's not okay with me that store employees are so callous to and about people with physical challenges. These people proved the saying, "conform or be cast out" and then went one worse. 

They simply didn't care. 


No comments: