Wednesday, January 4, 2017

IWSG - Back to basics in 2017

January 4, 2017

It is my intention to pause my participation in the monthly Insecure Writer's Support Group blog hop. I'm not very insecure, ergo, I don't have issues which I feel the need to pull my hair and wail about. The possibility exists that one day my opus will be The Diary of an Angry White Woman, but that day is not yet upon us. Be grateful, she says, tongue-in-cheek.

On the afternoon of December 28, 2016, Lori James of All Romance eBooks announced the closing of her company on December 31, 2016. How's that for short notice?

Since then all manner of things have come to light, not the least of which is the distinct possibility of payments due being mishandled for the last several years. I do know, based on my sales numbers, a lot - and I mean A LOT - of money went through that company. (I'm only one of thousands.) And it's the authors who are getting screwed. Again. (Refer to my comment about writing my opus.)

While this situation is of great concern to me, it is beyond the scope of what I can control. My life goes on. What this means to the independent author, no one yet knows. Will Amazon, iTunes, Kobo, NOOK and other places pick up the slack? One hopes, but one is far from assured. 

Before you think being with a formal publisher is the answer, remember they too sold through ARe. ARe was a major third-party vendor for publishers. They will also feel the pinch and they may pass the loss right along to the author to avoid damage to their bottom line. 

In this new year, my focus needs to be squarely on writing. This is why I'm going on IWSG hiatus. Even as I prepare this entry I feel the need to get on with the next item on my to-do list, which is proofread an upcoming story and get it formatted for release.  

As always, thank you for stopping by Between the Keys. I hope you'll check back regularly. After all, I may one day organize my notes and begin work on my opus. You wouldn't want to miss that, would you?

KC Kendricks
www.kckendricks.com
kckendricks.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/kckendricks
www.facebook.com/kckendricks


2 comments:

Pat Garcia said...

Hello,
Happy New Year and all the best for 2017.
I am sorry to hear about your publisher closing shop. That is a shock and especially when you find out two days before it happens that is a blip.
So take care and concentrate on what is important for you.
Shalom aleichem,
Pat Garcia

KC Kendricks said...

All Romance eBooks didn't publish my books. ARE was first and foremost an online bookseller. A store front. They did not hold the rights to my intellectual property the way a publisher would. I rented space from them in their store.

Thanks for stopping by the blog!