Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Independence is precious

July 4, 2018

I can't imagine living in a world without freedom. Nor can I imagine living in a place where there is no law and order.  I feel blessed to live in the United States.

National pride is a polarizing issue these days. People say we're a democracy when in fact we are a constitutional republic. Our founding fathers created a remarkable document. If only I could write like that! If only I had the words to create something that would last hundreds of years! Our constitution is an impressive body of work. 

Today is the day to take a look around and be intentionally grateful for the gift and blessing that is this thing called "freedom." Today is not the day to fight. In fact, let's all set aside our baser selves and stop fighting like rats in a bucket. 

Instead, let us take stock of how far we've come from the early days of the republic. Let us look back with reflection, and introspection, and be intentionally aware of all the good things we are as a people. But then let us not rest on our laurels. There is work to do to keep us a proud nation - social, moral, and constitutional work. Let us do this work peacefully so that it may actually be accomplished. That is my hope for this Independence Day. 

_*_*_

And because it IS a day to celebrate, and because I am a writer of romantic stories about men, I give you my favorite patriot

Yes, let us be thankful for our freedom of expression on today of all days.

KC
www.kckendricks.com
twitter.com/kckendricks
facebook.com/kckendricks
pinterest.com/kckendricks






No comments: