Thursday, July 5, 2018

Another rainy holiday

July 5, 2018


Sometimes I think the gods of weather have too much fun at my expense. Yesterday was a holiday here in the United States - our Independence Day observance. I had such high hopes of a perfectly grilled center cut pork chop, a hope that quickly died when the dark clouds rolled in. 

The day started with promise. I actually slept until almost seven a.m. That's quite a rarity for me. I'm usually up by six. Deuce was ready to go do all his outside activities, so I slipped into a t-shirt and went with him. Doggie-mommies need to monitor some of these things, you know. 

While Deuce was busy sniffing the perimeter of his yard, I went into the shed and shot the last coat of gloss paint on the second platform rocker - mark one more item off my to-do list. The rocker was quickly followed by tidying my financial empire and cleaning Loki's litter box. The spousal unit was up by then and we decided to check out purchasing a new recliner for him. 

We're now the proud owners of a power lift recliner. It's going to be a big help to him. Not only will it not move when he attempts to stand, it will lift and help him get his feet under him. With any luck, Bob's Discount Furniture will deliver it next Tuesday as promised. As we were leaving the store, the heavens opened. We managed to drive out from under the rain and beat it home. There was just enough time to let Deuce out for a quick pee-pee before the rain caught up to us. It rained for the remainder of the day and there went my grilled pork chop for dinner. 

It must have put a damper on local firework celebrations, too. I didn't hear many "booms" echoing off the mountain after dark. 

For some time now I've wanted to swap my dining room table with a smaller breakfast table I've used in my sewing room. I won't go into the particulars of it. Suffice it to say it was just a notion I had and today was the day I acted. I texted Cousin Dave to help me move the bigger table. As it turned out, he said his oldest daughter was looking for a larger table. He texted her and my problem of what to do with a formal dining room table with two leaves and four big chairs is solved. I'm delighted I can help her out and she didn't have to spend any more than what it will cost her to get a bottle of furniture polish and put a shine on the table and chairs. 

And so goes another holiday. It wasn't the quiet day I'd planned. It was a lot better. 

KC Kendricks
www.kckendricks.com
facebook.com/kckendricks
pinterest.com/kckendricks
twitter.com/kckendricks


No comments: