Sunday, November 4, 2018

Seasonal addictions

November 4, 2018

Autumn is here. I observe the seasonal changes around me with a wonder that never seems to fade. Out in my woods, I'm still a child, soaking up the mysteries like a sponge. In autumn, I see the world preparing for rest while celebrating the passing of another bountiful summer. 

I've had my share of trials and tribulations this summer just past, but hasn't everyone? As I edge toward my own autumn I'm inspired by October. I've seen the bloom of spring, endured the heat of summer. Now begins the time for me to wrap myself in my finest colors and face the sun without fear. Winter, with the pristine beauty of her deep sleep, will arrive soon enough. I will be like that final leaf, refusing to fall until the wind seduces me with his promise of freedom. 

The end of summer brings the end to a few more things. I have a confession to make. I’m a Blizzard addict. Yes, that’s the sad, ugly truth. This has been the summer of my addiction.

I’m not sure how it all started. (Yes, I am but I don’t want to put the blame on my best friend’s shoulder even though she’s the one who forced me to go to the Dairy Queen one late night when they had Key Lime Pie as a flavor.) It doesn’t matter how, but that first Blizzard was my undoing.  

I was able to resist the lure of that creamy, soft, icy, smooth confection for months. Then, one miserably hot day, I was on my way back to work at the end of my lunch break and I acted on impulse. I made that fatal right-hand turn into the drive-thru. Do you know how many calories are in a Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Blizzard? Me neither. And please don’t tell me.

So there it is. My secret. I’m standing up in front of everyone and admitting – I’m a Blizzard addict. It could be much worse. I hope that with the coming of cold weather I can put the habit behind me. We'll see, won't we? 

KC



No comments: