Thursday, April 22, 2021

Centerville Muscle

 April 22, 2021

When I wrote Bored, Stroked, and Blueprinted, I knew I wanted to add to Mick and Logan's story. I love muscle cars, so creating a series that has them at the nexus is sort of a no-brainer for me. Bored, Stroked, and Blueprinted featured a 1969 Camaro Z/28. My first car was a 1969 Camaro, sadly not a Z. I still have quite a fondness for those first-generation Camaros.

The second book in the series was supposed to be July Heat, but as that story developed, I knew that wasn't the right title for it and so it became Memphis. Memphis is a very appropriate title for a book that became a lot more than expected. Yes, there's a 1968 Camaro in there, but the story is definitely about a man's journey back to life. 

That left me with the title July Heat but no story. Happily, that didn't last long and the story is at twenty-thousand words and rapidly growing. I have the background of the cover figured out. It's going to be obvious it's a sequel to Memphis. 

It's really great to be enthused about a story. Most of the dust has settled around me and writing is enjoyable again. July Heat has muscle cars and my favorite pairing of characters - a slightly older man and a guy about a dozen or so years his junior. I think a bit of an age difference makes a good dynamic. Exploring the age difference helps develop the relationship between the characters as they share first the happier things they've lived through, and later, the more profound adversities. 

My break is over and I'm heading back to Centerville, which, by the way, is not that far from Marionville and Easton. It's also fun to make connections between stories that long-time readers will recognize. 

Will I take Centerville Muscle to twelve stories the way I did the Men of Marionville? There's no way for me to know until I get to the end of the road.  


 _*_*_*_*_*_*_

 KC Kendricks

My home on the web- Between the Keys: 
Visit my bookshelf at: 

Social media links:
Life through the eyes of my black Lab, Greenbrier Smokey Deuce: deucesday.blogspot.com
My country life at Holly Tree Manor: hollytreemanor.blogspot.com
Snips and clips on my YouTube channel: KC Kendricks Between the Keys




No comments: