Thursday, July 7, 2022

What's the next step when you lose the plot?

 

July 7, 2022

You would think that as long as I've been writing romances that I'd have a really good handle on how to keep the plot on track, wouldn't you? Apparently, that is not the case. The plot in the current WIP, the one I'm trying to finish, has taken an unexpected turn. So what does the author do when it goes south?

Why am I displeased with the plot at this point? I took it towards a "current events" situation, that's why. I don't like to do that. Not. At. All. Current events date a book, often badly. 

Okay, so this current event isn't political, so perhaps it can be salvaged. It's simply something that has been in the mainstream media of late. It's an ugly reality. It happens. I can wrap up the story threads and have it all work out, but the story will still have that slice of ugly in there and that bugs me. 

I think I need to cram my writer's hat very firmly on my head, square my aching shoulders, flex my tired fingers, and just get on with it. Hopefully, I'll surprise myself by the time I reach The End.

Let us hope so.

  _*_*_*_*_*_*_


Social media links:
Life through the eyes of my black Lab, Greenbrier Smokey Deuce: deucesday.blogspot.com
My country life at Holly Tree Manor: hollytreemanor.blogspot.com
Snips and clips on my YouTube channel: KC Kendricks Between the Keys




KC Kendricks, Between the Keys, contemporary gay romance, writers on writing, m/m romance, plot issues, LGBTQ+ romance, Kindle books, ebooks, current events, social media, mainstream media


No comments: