Thursday, September 14, 2023

Doing what does not make us happy

September 14, 2023

This morning I finally took the hard road and cancelled my web hosting service. It wasn't my first choice of action. It was my only choice. There are myriad reasons for the cancellation.

  • The cost of the service jumped $17 for one quarter
  • The website software couldn't be downloaded the way the old Sitebuilder was
  • Working online with an AI assistance was too difficult
  • Lack of options in building a page template
There is no doubt the old Sitebuilder software spoiled me. I was able to work offline and then upload the pages. I could start with a blank template and add whatever background I wanted. Each page could have a completely different look if I so choose. But Yahoo webhosting became Luminate (or something), which became Aabaco (or something), which became Verizon, which became Turbify which apparently was sold again. 

I can't keep up with all of it, mostly because I don't want to keep up. I simply want an inexpensive web hosting with software that allows me to create the look I want. I don't want a cardboard cut-out website. I'm not a cow in the herd. 

It wasn't an easy decision. I've grappled with it for some time and it just so happened that today was the day I tackled the problem. 

Where I go from here for web hosting, I don't know. I kept the domain name, or at least I hope I did it correctly to keep the domain name. Who the fuck knows? I guess I'll find out for sure when it's time to renew it, or when I decide on other web hosting. 

It annoys me that they kept selling the product without actually improving the service. Call me old-fashioned, but I still look for value in the products I use. A product that is too difficult to use and doesn't give you the end result you're paying for is not value.

So here I am. Between the Keys has been my real home on the web for quite some time. If Google ever decides to start fucking around with altering Blogger, I guess I'll vanish. 

    _*_*_*_*_*_*_

 KC Kendricks

Social media links:
Life through the eyes of my black Lab, Greenbrier Smokey Deuce: deucesday.blogspot.com
My country life at The Hideaway/Holly Tree Manor: hollytreemanor.blogspot.com
Snips and clips on my YouTube channel: KC Kendricks Between the Keys


KC Kendricks, Between the Keys, contemporary gay romance, M/M, LGBT, romance for Kindle, web hosting, webhosting, a writer's life, AI, product devaluation, work offline, 

No comments: