Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Finding excuses and dragging my feet

September 20, 2023

It's been a day. Heck, it's been a month! I had a Yard Sale with my cousin, attended a baby shower for another younger cousin, met a group of classmates for dinner, contracted with a tree service to take down the leaning maple, did a rash of home canning, went on a day trip with the spousal unit, burned the brush pile, and I'm in the midst of tearing out the 2023 garden. 

Do you see writing mentioned anywhere in that mess? Nooooo. 

I need to finish Sumner's Garden, but finishing the story closes the book on Andy. I don't want that to happen. You see, Andy has been with me for a very long time. He was first brought to life in the book, Shine A Light, and I always wanted to tell his story. Now I am. But I want him to stay. 

This may be a conundrum many writers face, but what to do about it? Moving off the center means moving closer to losing Andy as he is in my mind. I know how his story completes, but getting there will be a loss, at least to me. For those readers who have been with me for years, it will be their gain. 

I've been down this road before and it's time to stop dragging my feet and give Andy his due. But here's another thing - I've been writing for a long time now. What if Andy is my swan song? Is Andy a good place to hang up the wireless keyboard? I don't want to get involved with putting my name on a story written by artificial intelligence and that is the direction fiction is moving in. I don't need to pursue the financial end of writing so I'm not pressured to produce, produce, produce the way many writers are. When I publish a book, well, if you know then you know. How's that for a bit of ego? 

There are new characters to get to know and established ones to revisit. I know this. I also know those two things won't happen until Andy gets his happy ending. And he will get it. I hope you'll be there to share in it. 

 _*_*_*_*_*_*_

KC Kendricks
My home on the web- Between the Keys: 
http://kckendricks.blogspot.com
Visit my bookshelf at: 
https://kckendricks.blogspot.com/p/the-bookshelf-of-kc-kendricks-and-rayne_3.html

Social media links:
Snips and clips on my YouTube channel: KC Kendricks Between the Keys
Life through the eyes of my black Lab, Greenbrier Smokey Deuce: deucesday.blogspot.com
My country life at The Hideaway/Holly Tree Manor: hollytreemanor.blogspot.com


KC Kendricks, Between the Keys, Shine A Light, contemporary gay fiction, m/m romance, LGBT gay romance, romance books for Kindle, books, fiction romance, a writer's life, gardening, simple country pleasures

No comments: