Sunday, October 22, 2023

Arriving at the dreaded crossroads


October 22, 2023

I've dreaded the coming of this day. I typed THE END in the Sumner's Garden manuscript. It's usually good to get one drafted, but this one is different. This may really be the end. 

For years I had this rosy vision of my retirement years. I'd get to finally be The Lady of the Manor and a full-time writer. The Lady of the Manor I certainly am, but the writer part of me is despondent. Writing isn't what it used to be. It's changed, at least for me. 

When I began my writing journey, e-publishing was in its infancy. I was happy to get in and be a part of that. And I was there when it was washed away by Amazon's quest to be the only game in town. Kindle Unlimited diminishes the author's worth so I don't subscribe to it. My work is worth more than pennies and I would rather end it than give it away.

Sour grapes, you say? No. I know my own worth. I know exploitation when I see it. 

I've known this day was coming. I've thought about both sides of this personal decision and I'm no closer to knowing what's best for me than I was a year ago when I decided I had to write Sumner's Garden for ME. 

Autumn is a time of change. I've been in my sunroom office all morning watching the leaves fall and drift on the wind. The lawn is carpeted in a coat of many colors. The camera doesn't do it justice but the naked eye drinks it in and adds it to memory. 

It may happen that Sumner's Garden ends up on my Kindle and nowhere else. If that becomes my choice, I can live with it.

_*_*_*_*_*_*_

KC Kendricks
My home on the web- Between the Keys: 
http://kckendricks.blogspot.com
Visit my bookshelf at: 
https://kckendricks.blogspot.com/p/the-bookshelf-of-kc-kendricks-and-rayne_3.html

Social media links:
Snips and clips on my YouTube channel: KC Kendricks Between the Keys
Life through the eyes of my black Lab, Greenbrier Smokey Deuce: deucesday.blogspot.com
My country life at The Hideaway/Holly Tree Manor: hollytreemanor.blogspot.com

KC Kendricks, life decisions, publishing industry, crossroads, a writer's life, m/m romance books for Kindle, exploitation of writers, long and winding road


No comments: