Sunday, February 14, 2010

Panic Mode

A few weeks ago, my computer got zapped with a bug. I visited a reputable review site, and POW! BAM! WHAM! It goes to show infections are not always due to careless behaviour. Anyway, I didn't worry much. I keep redundant data backups, and make sure all my software is on discs, so I hit the button, wiped the hard drive clean, and reloaded. Problem solved, with a big bonus. A clean drive is a magical thing, let me tell you.

Weeeeell, last night the latest update on Windows, or Java, or whatever the heck it was came in, and my computer did a restart. Only, it didn't. Restart, that is.

No, really. The OS didn't load. It sat there, not even blinking. This was something new and different. I know when it's time to panic, and it was time, so I did.

Think? Problem solve? Oh, no, no, no. I went into PANIC MODE. I went straight to my last resort. I ran from my office, got between my hubby and the NASCAR truck race (at Daytona, no less) and yelled for help.

Do you know how utterly infuriating it is when they just sit there and stare at you? Why didn't he feel my pain? I'm sure it had something to with my waving arms blocking the television. But after almost twenty years, he should understand how devastating this situation was, right?

Maybe he did. Who knows? Anyway, he looked at me and calmly instructed me to pull the power cord from the processor, wait sixty seconds, then plug it back in and see if it would boot.

I hate it when he's right.

KC Kendricks
http://www.kckendricks.com

No comments: