Sunday, February 28, 2010

Shine A Light by KC Kendricks



SHINE A LIGHT
contemporary gay romance
available now at 

Amazon, Apple/iTunes, Barnes and Noble, Kobo,
and other online booksellers


After being viciously outed by his spiteful ex-lover, Van MacKenzie, fallen Hollywood and Broadway star, lands on stage in a small town community theatre - and in the arms of set designer Shane Hollister. Van knows his attraction to the talented young man could seal the fate of his career, but he can’t resist having a ‘summer thing’ while performing at The Globe. When an act of violence catches them unaware, Van recognizes the message was really meant for him. Walking away from Shane might be the smart thing to do to keep him safe.

Shane Hollister had established himself as a Broadway set designer before his father’s accident forced him to move home to St. Charles. Needing work, Shane accepts a job at The Globe. To his surprise, the small operation equals any big city production. When Donovan “Van” MacKenzie signs on for the new show, Shane grabs the chance to have a summer fling with his big screen idol, refusing to allow Van’s past to intrude.

Shane knows he has only one chance to catch a fallen star, and keep him for his own.

EXCERPT

When I stepped out of the men’s room, Shane waited for me.

His drawn, pale face, and the dark smudges under his eyes made me pause.

“You look like hell.”

“I feel like hell. I don’t know how to make things right with you if you won’t believe me.”

“I believe you, Shane. You said you didn’t know he was coming here. Well, okay. People surprise us. I know that. But he is here, and you are involved with him, and I can’t afford the distraction.”

That wasn’t what I wanted to say to him. It wasn’t even close. I wanted to wrap my arms around him and tell him to send Doug packing. I needed him to prove to me he wasn’t planning to fuck me and any other guy at the same time. But one trick with him didn’t give me the right.

He nodded, his eyes sad. “I don’t know what else to say except I’m sorry, Van.”

The ice around my heart cracked. I managed a smile for him. “I’m sorry, too.”
Shane reached out and smoothed the lapel of my jacket, although it didn’t need it. This might be as close as I ever got to him again. God help me, but I couldn’t walk away without touching him one more time. I grasped his hips and pulled him, unresisting, to me.

His arms snaked up around my neck, holding me with his fierce, young strength. We pressed together, chest-to-chest and thigh-to-thigh. I breathed in his scent and kissed his hair, committing the feel of him to memory, then I gently pulled away.

“I’m flying back to the city tomorrow, and then driving my own car back on Tuesday. I’ll put the key under the mat and leave your car at the cabin since you have your keyless entry.”

His hands came to rest on my shoulders. “How are you getting to the airport?”

“I cut a deal with one of the boys who work at the resort. He’s agreed to be my go-fer when I need one, provided he’s off-shift.”

Shane accepted that, nodding, his gaze somewhere past me. I was poignantly reminded of his youth. Would he listen to my advice?

“Shane, if you have any doubts about Doug, do yourself and him a favor, and end it. I didn’t do that with Lynn and I paid a high price for it.”

“It’s not like that, man! I told you. I don’t sleep with him any more. That’s in the past. We’re just friends now.”

“Lot’s of things are in the past,” I told him as gently as I could. It was all over him that he wanted to argue with me, but his shoulders slumped, and his eyes had a vacant look to them. It took every ounce of willpower I possessed not to touch him again.

“Shane, what’s really wrong?”

“Nothing. You don’t want anything to do with me. Well, okay. I’ll get over it.” With that he turned and walked away, his long strides quickly putting a lot of distance between us.

I watched him go with a sinking feeling in my gut. I’d bungled that, and badly.

SHINE A LIGHT

Amazon

ITunes/Apple

Barnes and Noble/Nook

Kobo
store.kobobooks.com/en-us/ebook/shine-a-light-2


KC Kendricks
Visit my website at: http://www.kckendricks.com
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/kckendricks
Join my mailing list at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/betweenthekeys
Read my personal blog: http://kckendricks.blogspot.com

No comments: