Thursday, August 10, 2023

We now communicate via the meme

August 10, 2023

Over the past several years, we the people have become uncomfortable with speaking our real and true opinions, and we certainly don't post them online. There is always someone lurking about who is delighted to tell you how wrong you are. I'm too exhausted to listen to them. I'm not about to change my mind on core issues. 

I enjoy a witty meme. I found the one pictured on Twitter...excuse me...X... and it took me down a musical memory lane. Those five words say a lot. In my youth, I loved the music of Simon & Garfunkel, and The Sound of Silence remains a favorite. The song has weathered well the test of time. Go listen to the Simon & Garfunkel version. No one else does it as well and they did write the song. 

And the people bowed and prayed to the neon god they made. And the sign flashed out its warning in the words that it was forming. And the sign said, "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and echoed the sound of silence."

It got me thinking about all the memes filling up my Twitter and Facebook feeds. I know someone who never posts any sort of update about her life. It's a political-themed meme or nothing. She gets flamed continually and I think she likes the abuse. Maybe she thinks any attention of whatever form is good. I disagree. Showing your ass and saying, "LOOK AT ME!" is never in good form. 

Freedom of speech is the first right given to us by our Constitution. Congress, that is to say, our government, is to make NO law prohibiting freedom of religion and speech. Cancel culture has made the exercise of that right so onerous, that we now communicate through the meme. 

You dislike a particular politician? Post a meme. 
You hate your job? Post a meme.
You like to drink alcohol? Post a meme. 
You want to bash the police? Post a meme.
You want to support abortion? Post a meme.
You want to bash fat/skinny/old people? Post a meme. 
You want to talk about heaven? Post a meme.
You want to tell everyone to rescue a dog or else? Post a meme. 

This is how we avoid having conversations. If we try to have a conversation, we get attacked, often unfairly. We are entitled to have an opinion. 

I'm as guilty as the next person of withholding my opinion. I get annoyed when I read things like "ALL conservatives/liberals [fill in the blank]." 

Not many of the memes I see are like the one pictured above. They don't take us back in time or remind us with melodic words we still have work to do to improve society. Today's memes more often than not based on an underlying hatred of someone or something. This is what disturbs me the most about them. 

You'll have to excuse me if I don't join you in your hatred. Have you ever considered keeping it to yourself? 

 _*_*_*_*_*_*_


Social media links:
Snips and clips on my YouTube channel: KC Kendricks Between the Keys
Life through the eyes of my black Lab, Greenbrier Smokey Deuce: deucesday.blogspot.com
My country life at The Hideaway/Holly Tree Manor: hollytreemanor.blogspot.com


KC Kendricks, Between the Keys, meme, contemporary gay romance, romance books for Kindle, Sound of Silence, Constitution, First Amendment, freedom of speech, counter-culture, a writer's life, rural living, m/m romance

No comments: