Wednesday, April 3, 2013

C is for Catching Fireflies

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Day 3 of the 2013 A to Z Blogging Challenge

It's All About the Books

This the third year I’ve participated in the A to Z Blogging Challenge. It’s not an easy task to set for oneself. It takes a lot of organization, but it’s worth all the effort to reconnect with bloggers from last year’s challenge and to meet new people and make new friends.

For this year’s challenge, It's All About the Books and today highlights a new release, Catching Fireflies. Catching Fireflies is the sequel to Between the Moon and the Deep Blue Sea. Both stories are set on Ocracoke Island, and if you read yesterday’s blog, you know the story of why I chose the island setting. Yes, that’s an unabashed ploy to get you to scroll down.

Whether you followed Between the Keys in 2011 and 2012, or you’re a 2013 newcomer to the A-Z Challenge, thanks for stopping by and getting to know me. I hope you’ll enjoy Catching Fireflies.

_*_*_*_*_

Dale Langley longs for some triple R time - rest, relaxation, and rejuvenation. He accepts his cousin’s invitation to winter over on Ocracoke Island, far away from the hustle and bustle of life on the mainland. He’s always loved being a rolling stone, traveling for his job without the worry of a place to call home, but it’s time for something different. Now Dale anticipates several blissful months to learn how to be still with no demands on his time while he prepares for the next phase of his life.


Aubrey Zimmerman came to Ocracoke to attend a friend’s commitment ceremony. Never one to settle down, Aubrey’s had enough of involvements that took him from man to man without a place to call home. He needs a break - and a little solitude. House sitting while his friend is on his honeymoon is the perfect way to clear his head and catch up on his sleep. At least it seemed that way until Dale arrived and Aubrey realized sleep is the last thing he needs.
Fate has changes in store for Dale and Aubrey, the sort neither one knew they wanted. Sometimes the more you wander the closer to home you get.


EXCERPT
His hand on my knee snapped me back to the here and now. I looked around to find everyone hovering over the steaks sharing grilling secrets, and paying no attention to us.

I tried not to notice the warmth of Aubrey’s palm on my skin, but failed miserably. At least if I got hard, I was sitting down and my T-shirt was loose enough to hide it if I leaned forward. Or maybe crossed my legs. Or sank beneath the glider - or the ground. Thankfully, the thought of how embarrassed I’d be kept an erection at bay. Barely.

“You know, hon. I like to walk along the water after dinner. Why don’t you join me?”

I must’ve had a stupid expression on my face. He tilted his head. “No hanky-panky, of course, being that we just met.”

No one even glanced in our direction so I leaned toward him. “Um, sure. A walk would be nice. If I try to hold your hand are you going to stop me?”

“That’s all you can hold tonight, sugar. I don’t know anything about you, and I have to make sure you don’t bite before we get to know each other better.” He looked down then slowly lifted his beautiful gaze back to mine. “And you’re hiding something.”

I shivered as the memories of the vicious blows I’d received at the hands of strangers taunted me.

“I only nibble the occasional earlobe, and my secrets are my own, Aubrey. There’s nothing in them to hurt anyone else.”

He studied me for a few moments, his fascinating blue gaze enigmatic. “Fair enough, Dale.” He sighed. “I do have my own. What?”

“I could stare into your eyes forever.”

Aubrey didn’t blink. “If I had a dollar for every time some tomcat said that to me, I’d be rich…”

_*_*_

Catching Fireflies is available at
AmazoniTunes/AppleBarnes and NobleKobo,
and other online booksellers. 


KC Kendricks
website at: http://www.kckendricks.com
blog: http://www.kckendricks.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/kckendricks
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/kckendricks
mailing list at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/betweenthekeys

3 comments:

Loralie Hall said...

Sounds like a fantastic read, and such a sexy, enticing blurb! Stopping by for A-Z (of course :) But I'll have to check out all your books, especially this one.

____

Find me:
Blog: http://allysonlindt.com
email: Allyson.Lindt@gmail.com
Twitter: @AllysonLindt

Unknown said...

Why do I not have this? I have to get caught up on KC Kendricks. Shame on me! :) Sorry I'm a bit behind. I'm loving all of your comments at my blog. You rock, my friend.

KC Kendricks said...

Hi Allyson and Melissa! Thanks for stopping by the blog. I had to w-w-work yesterday and didn't get a chance to do all my blog duties :)