Wednesday, April 24, 2013

U is for Ubiquitous

It's All About the Books

2013 A to Z Blogging Challenge
Day 21
April 24, 2013


Only five days to go after today! We’re fast approaching the finish line! This year I’ve been blogging about the books and doing a little promo, but today is for more ubiquitous things.

I love the word “ubiquitous.” The root word, “ubiquity” is a noun from the Latin and means a presence everywhere simultaneously. Ubiquitous is the adjective form and is defined as existing or being everywhere at once. The sky is ubiquitous. Noise is ubiquitous. Most importantly, love is ubiquitous. Ubiquitous is not a word often used to describe love, but maybe it should be. I can’t think of one bad thing that would happen if love were everywhere at once.

Language is valuable tool in the writer’s arsenal. We love and embrace words, but where to we draw the line with using words such as ubiquitous? Or myriad? Or enigmatic? I happen to love all three. They’re just so darned descriptive! As a writer, I feel it’s my responsibility to pen my stories using language everyone will connect with. Is that enough? Do I not also have a responsibility to expand my reader’s knowledge of language?

I don’t want to come across as being super smart and condescending because I’ve read some authors who really are and I didn’t like it. On the other hand, I don’t want my readers to believe I think they don’t understand multi-syllabic words. It’s a quandary (another word I like) and something every writer addresses on a word-by-word basis.

So here near the end of this year’s A to Z Blogging Challenge, I have a challenge for you the reader. I challenge you to use the ubiquitous in conversation today just for fun. You’re sure to get a smile or two.

KC

No comments: