Thursday, November 23, 2023

Thanksgiving 2023

November 23, 2023

Happy Thanksgiving! Today those of us in the United States stop to reflect upon and celebrate those things we are thankful for. Different countries and traditions have their day of thanksgiving at different times throughout the year, but today is our turn. 

Thanksgiving was a day when my family gathered for a meal, and after the meal, my parents would visit the "other side" of the family. Then, if I was lucky, I'd have some phone time with friends and/or cousins until Dad got tired of my teenage chatter. Back in the day, there was only one phone in the house, and even with a long cord that reached the stairs, he could hear me laughing and that intruded on the football game. 

Years have passed and all that remains of those days are memories. I doubt I'm unique in finding myself cooking a traditional dinner for just two. Far too many cook for one, or don't even bother cooking at all. 

I'm grateful I have the resources to cook the traditional turkey dinner. It's not an onerous chore to me. Instead, it's creating freedom for the next several days and beyond. There may be just the two of us, but I roast a larger bird and we have turkey this and turkey that until Sunday. I make turkey broth for soups and freeze baggies of dark and white meat for baked meat pies. Cooking today makes cooking ten to twelve future meals over the winter months very easy. 

What else am I grateful for? My health, my spouse and family, my home, my friends, and Deuce & Loki. I'm blessed with three beautiful acres of ground to call home. I'm blessed with the opportunity to observe wildlife in my own backyard. 

Troubled times are upon us, yet let us all be thankful. Let's switch off the gloom and doom for a day and live simply, in gratitude, Who knows? Everyone putting some positivity out into the ether might have some lasting effects! 

Psalm 100 (KJV)
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands. 2 Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing. 3 Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. 4 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. 5 For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

    _*_*_*_*_*_*_

 KC Kendricks

Social media links:
Life through the eyes of my black Lab, Greenbrier Smokey Deuce: deucesday.blogspot.com
My country life at The Hideaway/Holly Tree Manor: hollytreemanor.blogspot.com
Snips and clips on my YouTube channel: KC Kendricks Between the Keys


KC Kendricks, Rayne Forrest, Thanksgiving 2023, contemporary gay romance, m/m romance, gay Kindle books, GLBT gay romance, a writer's life, rural living, roasting turkey, gratitude

No comments: