Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Q is for Quality over Quantity

Day 17
April 20, 2016

There’s few who would argue we live in a world that values quantity over quality. That’s okay if your fetish is socks or golf balls. 

Okay. I guess pocketbooks should also be on the list of things of which you can never have too many. Color me guilty there. But I think it’s time some of us took a step back and looked at quality over quantity. Take the aforementioned pocketbooks for example.

A few years ago a girlfriend and I bought into the Miche bag craze. It was fun. We bought the shells and traded them back and forth. The downside was the shells didn’t hold up. Neither did the liners. We ended up with a quantity of Miche we no longer could use. I found an Ellen Tracy bag that cost what two of the Miche shells cost and I’ve carried it for four years now. People still ask me if the bag is new. Quality shows itself.

I think writing is better if approached from the “quality before quantity” viewpoint. To my way of thinking, I don’t help my career if I churn out quickie story after quickie story with no real substance. Whatever time it takes to accomplish the writing - that’s what it takes. I want to end up with a book I can feel good about having written, especially since I’m in this for the long haul.

 KC Kendricks
www.twitter.com/kckendricks

No comments: