Sunday, April 1, 2012

A is for Author

April 1, 2012
2012 A to Z Blogging Challenge
Day 1
On Being a Published Writer



There is no one more important to the publishing world than the author.

The entire publishing industry rises and falls with those authors willing to publish their intellectual property.

Without the author, there are no stories.

Without the author, there are no books.

Without the author, there are no readers.

Without the author, there is no publishing.

Each and every one of us is absolutely vital to our industry. There are no exceptions.

Each and every one of us has something so unique to offer that only the individual can provide it.

Each and every one of us is deserving of the respect of our peers and our publishers. We are created equal and that equality has nothing to do with sales numbers.

Each and every one of us is entitled to the protection of copyright.

One very serious problem I’ve witnessed over and over throughout my years of being a published author is that too few of us realize our own value. This must change.

Authors are the publishing industry.


***
Welcome to the 2012 A to Z Blogging Challenge. This year I’m focusing on things I’ve learned, observed and experienced in the nine years I’ve been published. If you’re a reader, I hope to offer an inside glimpse into the writer’s world. If you’re new to writing, I hope I can provide an insight or two. If you’re an established writer, maybe you’ll see similarities to your experience. Whatever path you walk, I welcome you to mine and hope you’ll enjoy the 2012 A to Z Blogging Challenge.



KC Kendricks
website at: http://www.kckendricks.com/
blog: http://www.kckendricks.blogspot.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/kckendricks
mailing list at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/betweenthekeys
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1989106.K_C_Kendricks
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Kc-Kendricks/1439574042
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/kckendricks





 

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Here, Here!! I second every word you said. This is a terrific post and great start to the challenge this year. It's so awesome to see you here again this year KC. Whoo Hoo!!

Simon Kewin said...

Great point and a great post. As an author, it's so easy to feel insignificant and unloved in the publishing world - but you're right. Without us there is no publishing world.

Monica said...

I'm not a writer, but I am a reader. I have never really thought about how much the entire industry depends on the author. Thanks for the "glimpse' into the world of an author.
Monica, Older Mommy Still Yummy

Unknown said...

I'm looking forward to reading some of your insights into the world of a published author; it will be an awesome adventure, I'm sure ;)

KC Kendricks said...

Thanks for stopping by Between the Keys. I'm really excited about the A to Z Challenge this year. If I could say one thing to every writer out there it's that just putting the words on the page makes you successful. Where you take that success is up to you.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Love this! Thanks heavens our stories are like potato chips. No one can eat just one. ;)

S. L. Hennessy said...

GREAT post! I love the celebration of authors here. Thanks for posting! Happy A-Z challenge!

J.L. Campbell said...

Hi, K.C.,
I look forward to your insights and such on the publishing industry.

Rusty Carl said...

Great advice. Glad to meet you.

Adrianne Russell said...

Thanks for the reminder!

Jeremy Bates said...

Yes, respect is key. Some bloggers have a penchant for being rude with their comments. I feel more sorry for them than anything.

Too, the first authors had no agents or publishers, they were self-published.

KC Kendricks said...

Thank you all for stopping by Between the Keys! If I don't find your blogs during the A-Z Challenge, feel free to post the url here so I can.

nutschell said...

Authors are definitely the roots of the publishing world.
Great start to the A-Z!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Sarah Tokeley said...

A great reminder for those who forget - and that includes authors themselves :-)

Kathleen said...

No stories, no books, no readers, no publishing... what a sad wold that would be! Thank you for writing. I'm looking forward to reading one of your books!

Kathleen
Living 2012
A to Z challenge

Unknown said...

I think writers are cool people. They have such a way with words. Through their characters they bring life to words and that takes talent. Kudos to all of the aspiring and published authors!! Great post!

Stacey

KC Kendricks said...

Publishing is a complex industry and I think it's important to sometimes strip it all back to basics and remember it all starts.

Thank you all for stopping by Between the Keys and leaving comments. I appreciate your thoughts.