Saturday, April 7, 2012

G is for Google Guilt



Welcome to the 2012 A to Z Blogging Challenge. This year I’m focusing on things I’ve learned, observed and experienced in the nine years I’ve been published. If you’re a reader, I hope to offer an inside glimpse into the writer’s world. If you’re new to writing, I hope I can provide an insight or two. If you’re an established writer, maybe you’ll see similarities to your experience. Whatever path you walk, I welcome you to mine and hope you’ll enjoy the 2012 A to Z Blogging Challenge.

On Being a Published Writer
A to Z Blogging 2012
April 7, 2012
Day 7

I love Google.

It’s true. Google puts the world at the fingertips of billions of people. It’s a fabulous tool and I utilize it to the fullest. Any topic I want to learn about, Google can find a page for me, and not just about writing. It’s about the entire world.

I probably don’t need to extol the virtues of a good search engine to anyone. Alta Vista, the first one I used, is still around. There’s Bing, Ask, HotBot, Yahoo, Excite. The list goes on and on. I just happen to like Google for the necessary “G” word today, and as a way to segue into the real topic for today – guilt.

No, it’s not guilt for taking time away from your family and friends to write. We all do what we must to make our writing career work. And it’s not even about that dark chocolate candy bar you have stashed in your purse so you don't have to share it. (Guilty!) Today I want to talk about Google Guilt.

Google Guilt is what some other authors might just try to lay on you for using a search engine to unearth information for a story. Don’t buy into it.

Which is better?
A) The author adds just enough flavor to the prose to excite readers into going to Google to learn all about Belo Horizonte – or whatever the topic – for themselves.
OR…
B) The author who fills page after page with the smallest minutia meant to impress his/her reader with her/his intimate knowledge of the subject because, after all, they’re an expert, but instead of impressing, it bores.

I suppose it’s all in what you like, but I’ll take “A” any day of the week.

My point is simply this: It’s your story. Write it your way using whatever means are at your disposal to do so and to he$$ with the rest of us know-it-alls. Check your facts and keep your page links so you have the ammunition to prove your research to your editor, too. She’s your beta reader and it's her job to make you “prove it.”

It’s the how the reader perceives the finish product that is important. Excite their interest!

And no Google Guilt allowed.


KC Kendricks
Website

5 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

It never occurred to me that using Google would ever be a bad thing! I use it all the time - guilt free!

Dawn M. Hamsher said...

KC,
I definitely would pick "A" every time. No one likes a know-it-all. :0)

Sarah Tokeley said...

I've got plenty enough to feel guilty about, without adding pointless guilt to it :-)

Unknown said...

I'd definitely choose "A"! And my family call me "Google Queen." I love Google!

Rae
Life Love and the Pursuit of Publication
The International Diva

KC Kendricks said...

Google is not a "cheat" on first-hand knowledge. We all have different opportunities for travel and learning, etc. Google is a wonderful tool that levels the playing field, so use the knowledge it provides wisely.