Thursday, April 19, 2012

Q is for Quickie

A to Z Blogging 2012
Day 17
April 19, 2012
On Being a Published Writer

Welcome to the 2012 A to Z Blogging Challenge. This year I’m focusing on things I’ve learned, observed and experienced in the nine years I’ve been published. If you’re a reader, I hope to offer an inside glimpse into the writer’s world. If you’re new to writing, I hope I can provide an insight or two. If you’re an established writer, maybe you’ll see similarities to your experience. Whatever path you walk, I welcome you to mine and hope you’ll enjoy the 2012 A to Z Blogging Challenge.


Ah, the quickie. I’m quite fond of it in real life. Hope that’s not TMI (see the J is for Jargon blog).

In another blog, I mentioned a comment my mother made about a well-known author’s sex scenes. Mother correctly observed that every sex scene this multi-published, best selling author writes is the same. Ooooooookay. I know what you’re saying.

Part A and Part B only fit together in very specific ways.

True. But great sex is rarely about how the parts fit together. Great sex is how the brain perceives it. Great sex is a lot of fun and this is where the quickie fits into the plot.

Here comes another personal story so consider this your TMI alert. Once upon a relationship we used to enjoy hopping in the car and driving around to see the Christmas lights. New housing developments are usually the mother lode for decorations but sometimes true gems are found on lonely country roads. One year we found the classiest Christmas display I’ve ever seen out in the middle of a virtual nowhere.

White lights might be all the rage, but this place was a rhapsody in blue. The ranch-style house was outlined in a single string of the larger bulbs. The driveway and walkways were outlined in single strings of the larger blue bulbs, as was the split rail fence along the edge of the back yard. In the side yard, a trio of pines wore garlands of the same color blue lights. It was understated and, I think, a perfect example of how to light a yard for the season.

My partner leaned over and kissed me and….yep. Right there on the side of the road. The Quickie. I mean - seriously. Would you want to take a lot of time on a COLD winter night? And it was dark, sure, but other cars have headlights! We still tap our coffee mugs together and laugh about it.

The quickie is the fulfillment of a simple urge to mate. To have some fun in the moment. In romance fiction, if it fits your characters and the plot, don’t pass up the chance to let your characters have a little fun with a quickie. It’s a great way to show the daring, playful side of your characters without delving into the deeper emotions of lovemaking, and ramp up the heat level for your readers.

It might not work in every story you write (or read) but when it does, it’ll make you smile.

KC Kendricks
website at: http://www.kckendricks.com
blog: http://www.kckendricks.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/kckendricks
mailing list at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/betweenthekeys

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Intersting way to implement the QUICKIE.

Sherry Gloag said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yes not quite the same... but close!

KC Kendricks said...

I think we all get too serious from time-to-time, and forget to have fun. Fun is a good thing.