Monday, April 21, 2014

R is for Rain

April 21, 2014

2014 A to Z Blogging Challenge
A Rural Life
Day 18

R is for Rain

We’ve reached the last full week of this year’s blogging challenge and as much as I enjoy this yearly test of personal resolve, I confess I’m looking forward to Z so I can get back to work on a story I want to finish. I like blogging but that story is screaming to be completed. Thanks for visiting my corner of the 2014 A to Z Blogging  2014 A to Z Blogging Challenge.

_*_*_*_*_

“Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain…pitter patter pitter patter…”

Generally speaking, I like rain. There’s something about waking up in the middle of the night to the sound of rain on the roof that is pleasing. It’s the sound, of course, but it’s also a primitive reaction to being warm and sheltered.

My home is quite modest, as the photo attests, and if we get heavy rains the water puddles in spots. Being on the side of very big hill, which is a small mountain, rain can be a tricky thing. There’s several hundred feet of elevation above me and it all drains my way. You wouldn’t think flooding would be a problem on the side of a mountain, would you? Surprise!  The good news is it continues to drain straight through my property and on down a few more hundred feet to the bottom of the hill and into the creeks.

I welcome the rain that nourishes the ground. I watch the deer graze in the back yard seemingly oblivious to their wet coats. They shake every now and again, but it’s the youngsters who give them away. They prance and dance in the rain, kicking up their little hooves, hopping along, looking joyous. If being wet truly bothered them, why do they look so happy?

In the spring, I’ve been known to throw on an old raincoat, grab an umbrella, and head out for a walk through the wet woods. (If the deer can take it, so can I.) The woods take on a different life in the rain. It may look gray and brown but you can almost see and smell the abundant life that surrounds you, poised for action. It’s like the trees are in communion with the earth and for those few moments as you walk by, they include you in their ancient ritual of yearly rebirth.

And just as wonderful as a walk in the rain is arriving home and warming up with a cup of coffee in the small sunroom at the far end of my house - and watching the rain.

 _*_*_*_*_

You didn’t really think you’d get away 
 without a brief book promo, did you?

R is also for RIVER WALK.  

For more information please visit my website at 
www.kckendricks.com/RiverWalk.html

Amazon

iTunes

Barnes and Noble/Nook
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/river-walk-kc-kendricks/1113758621?ean=2940153172361

Kobo

www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/river-walk-1

KC Kendricks
website
blog
twitter
pinterest
facebook

2 comments:

Anything and Everything Paranormal Blog said...

Listening to rain can be so relaxing.

KC Kendricks said...

My partner doesn't view rain in quite the way I do. He sees the grass growing which means he has to mow more frequently. He whines about it :).