Thursday, April 24, 2014

U is for Unicorn

April 24, 2014

2014 A to Z Blogging Challenge
A Rural Life
Day 21

U is for Unicorn

We’ve reached the last full week of this year’s blogging challenge with only five days to go! It’s been fun sharing little tidbits of my life and world. They’re all part of me but the sum doesn’t create the whole – I’m more complex than all this. 

And as I enjoy this yearly test of personal resolve, I’m at the point where I’m looking forward to Z and taking a little blogging break (that’ll never happen!).

Thanks for visiting my corner of the 2014 A to Z Blogging Challenge.

_*_*_*_*_


It all started at a summer carnival. My mother won the very first unicorn I owned. Dad tried but…..

My parents had a lot of fun together. We - my parents, myself and an old boyfriend - went to the carnival for dinner since the church had a food booth and we wanted to support the effort. When we got to the ring toss, the old boyfriend tried to win a stuffed animal for me. He failed. So my father took up the challenge and he didn’t do so well, either. Mom and I were laughing at the men folk and so Dad bought her ten rings and challenged her to do better. She did and I got a stuffed unicorn the size of a border collie.

My unicorn collection grew from there. Not to be outdone, my father would get a unicorn every time my parents went shopping and came across one. I believe it bugged him he couldn’t win a stuffed animal for his little girl. Yes, he was a sweet man.  The last unicorns he got me before he died were a set of four small wall plaques depicting the unicorn in his glade in spring, summer, autumn and winter. They’ve hung on the wall in my bedroom since I was twenty-six and they will always hold their place of honor

Of all the gifts I’ve received in my life, those little plaques are some of the most meaningful. They weren’t expensive. They aren’t fancy or big. What they are is a gift from the heart from a father to his daughter and there’s nothing more special in the world.
  
_*_*_*_*_

You didn’t really think you’d get away without one more brief book promo, did you?  
U is for…………well, you DO get to skate on the promo today because for U, I got nothing! 

KC Kendricks
website: www.kckendricks.com

No comments: