Tuesday, April 7, 2015

F is for Frost, Robert

April 7, 201
Day 6

The 2015 A to Z Blogging Challenge
Many Sundry Things

F is for Frost, Robert
* * * * *

“Freedom lies in being bold.” – Robert Frost

I’m not sure the appreciation of poetry extends to the masses. A person either “gets” what the author is trying to say, or they don’t. And that’s not to imply those who don’t care for poetry are lacking in anything. We’re all wonderfully gifted with different interests.

Like many, my first encounter with Robert Frost was The Road Not Taken. I can go as far to say that bit of writing has had an influence on my life. Let the herd go where they may and I’ll take road less traveled to see what I may find. For the most part I’m quite happy with that decision.

But there’s another poem by Robert Frost I like entitled, The Freedom of the Moon. I’m certain those more scholarly than myself can attribute all sorts of metaphors to the prose, but I’m a country girl. I’ve walked home from a neighbor’s house by moonlight many times in my life and I take Frost’s words at face value – a man enjoying moonlight.

The Freedom of the Moon

I've tried the new moon tilted in the air
Above a hazy tree-and-farmhouse cluster
As you might try a jewel in your hair.
I've tried it fine with little breadth of luster,
Alone, or in one ornament combining
With one first-water start almost shining.

I put it shining anywhere I please.
By walking slowly on some evening later,
I've pulled it from a crate of crooked trees,
And brought it over glossy water, greater,
And dropped it in, and seen the image wallow,
The color run, all sorts of wonder follow.

-Robert Frost
America's Poet Laureate 

_*_*_*_

Once again this year I have to do a little book promo along the way. You won’t know about my books if I don’t tell you about them, right?

F is also for Fallon Roxbury of the Sundown saga. Book I is The Back Stairs, in which Fallon meets the shapeshifter.


Fallon Roxbury has a nose for trouble, and the uncanny ability for landing in the middle of it the moment he finds it. While investigating the gruesome murder of a young male prostitute in the red-light district, Fallon gets a whiff of something very strange. Forensics has unidentified hairs. Very unidentified hairs, like nothing in any of the textbooks. Following a tip from a person of interest, Fallon meets Sundown, an apparent hustler who knows a lot more than he will admit.

Getting personally involved with Sundown breaks every rule in the police manual, and in Fallon’s own personal code. Sundown is like a drug, and Fallon can’t stop at just one hit. When Sundown is forced to reveal the truth, Fallon’s world is turned upside down, and he’s left with only two options: check himself in for psychiatric evaluation, or accept a new reality with a strange shift.

Shapeshifters, that is.


For more about The Back Stairs please visit
http://www.kckendricks.com/TheBackStairs.html

KC Kendricks

2 comments:

Timothy S. Brannan said...

I never appreciated poetry till I was older.

I should go back and read more Frost.
Thanks for the tip and the poem!

--
Tim Brannan, The Other Side Blog
2015 A to Z of Vampires
http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/

Bob Johns said...

I first read Frost in grade school loved his work so much that I did a report on him.