Wednesday, April 8, 2015

G is for Ginger Snaps (and Give Me One Night by KC Kendricks)

April 8, 2015
Day 7

The 2015 A to Z Blogging Challenge
Many Sundry Things

G is for Ginger Snaps
* * *

Once upon a time an author I share a publisher with got snarky on a private author list that she never shared recipes when she could promo a book instead.

Well excuse me. My focus is not that narrow.

For many years I got together with my nearest and dearest friend before Christmas and we baked cookies. We each prepared five different varieties of cookie dough and then we split all ten batches down the middle. I had cookies in the freezer until almost summer! Somewhere along the twelfth or thirteenth year of baking we decided, by mutual agreement, we needed to scale back on some of our holiday revelries and the cookies got dropped in favor of our widening family engagements.

I miss those Sunday afternoons with her, baking and drinking wine…Oh? Didn’t I mention the concurrent wine tasting? My bad.

So for today’s A to Z, that being G-Day, here’s my best friend’s Ginger Snap Cookie recipe. Enjoy!

Ginger Snaps

¾ cup melted Crisco
1 cup white sugar
¼ cup Brier Rabbit or dark molasses
1 egg
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
½ tsp ginger
½ tsp clove
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Liquefy shortening and cool.
Add sugar, syrup, and egg. Beat well.
Add remainder and chill dough overnight.
Form into small balls.
Roll in sugar and place on a cookie sheet, then flatten with fork.
Bake on a greased sheet at 350 for 8 minutes.
  
For best results, do not double this recipe. Make individual batches.
_*_*_*_
 Once again this year I have to do a little book promo along the way. You won’t know about my books if I don’t tell you about them, right?

G is also for Give Me One Night


Brody O’Connor joins the revelry of the yearly pub crawl hunting a like-minded man for a night of fun and frolic with no strings attached. When a mystery man in an emerald shirt engages Brody’s interest, it doesn’t take long for the hunter to become the prey.

Well-matched with his mystery man, Brody regrets his ‘no strings’ approach to a night of shared passion that leaves him hungry for more. The morning after, Evan is gone as agreed. Brody knows it was a mistake to let him go, and vows to find him.

Evan never expected to meet someone like Brody. Now Brody wants to change the rules, and Evan agrees. He’ll give Brody one more night to convince him to stay.


Give Me One Night is now available at 
AmazoniTunes/AppleBarnes and NobleKobo, and other online booksellers. 

KC Kendricks
My home on the web- Between the Keys: http://kckendricks.blogspot.com
twitter.com/kckendricks
facebook.com/kckendricks
pinterest.com/kckendricks/boards
instagram.com/kc_kendricks
My country life at Holly Tree Manor

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was the baker at my day job for a while and had to make ginger snaps. The recipe and smell always turned me off a bit so I never tried them for a long time. Finally I did and was quite pleased that they are delicious.

~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
Member of C. Lee's Muffin Commando Squad
Story Dam
Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

KC Kendricks said...

Thanks for stopping by Between the Keys. I do think both ginger and real dark molasses, like Brier Rabbit, have very strong and distinctive tastes. It's not like King Syrup, which more people are familiar with and call "molasses."

Stormie Kent said...

I've never baked a ginger snap. As a kid I always requested anything with nuts or chocolate in them.

I love a good recipe though, and who would decline a nice recipe and an excerpt?

Stormie
Blog 1297 today

KC Kendricks said...

This is an "olde tyme" cookie recipe. Like really old. We learned the hard way you can't substitute or double. The cookies just don't taste right if you mess with the recipe. And if you don't chill the dough, the end result is a batch of little hockey pucks. They bake to a crisp. We've made a lot of batches that hit the trashcan because we experimented :)