Saturday, April 18, 2015

P is for Poseidon's Pleasure

The 2015 A to Z Blogging Challenge
Many Sundry Things

Day 16
April 18, 2015

P is for Poseidon’s Pleasure

Welcome to day sixteen of the 2015 A to Z Blogging Challenge. As today is a Saturday, it's a straight promo day and I'm keeping it short and quick. 

Today I have a short excerpt from Poseidon’s Pleasure . Our heroes meet after years apart and Brett recalls the very first time he saw Mark. It's a bittersweet moment.  

Enjoy! 

* * *
His hand lifted, stretched toward me, then fell to his side. “You look good, Brett. Really good. Like life is treating you right.” 

“Thanks. It is, for the most part.” I held my right hand out in that time-honored way of men everywhere. He licked his lips, and I was suddenly twenty-nine and awkward again, wondering why any man would look at me and want to take me to bed. My memory flashed back to a distant, muggy night, the air filled with ozone from approaching lightning. 

The first time I saw Mark Matthews he was pinned to a chain link fence by a pack of straight bullies with more than mischief and mayhem on their agenda. The streetlight was bright enough for me to see the terror on his young, bruised face.  

I laid on the horn and drove my car right into the fence beside them, not caring in that moment if I hit some of them or not. The mob scattered, and a bloodied and battered boy leaped into my car. He sobbed into his hands the entire drive to my best friend’s apartment. I took him inside and cleaned him up. He was seventeen, and I knew better than to touch him, even to administer some first aid, but I did.

After twenty years, the night he turned eighteen remained burned into my memory.

I stood there, arm extended, praying he’d shake my hand. Just one little touch to make him real for me again, and prove to me I’d existed as a younger man with life and energy. And dreams.

He stared at my hand for the longest time, then he pressed his palm to mine, and quickly let go.

* * *

KC Kendricks
http://www.kckendricks.com 


_*_*_*_

More about Poseidon’s Pleasure
(Book 3 in the Southern Cross series) 


Brett Houston triumphed over his life. Raised by an abusive father, Brett sacrificed his personal happiness to keep the ones he loved safe. Ready to make big changes in his life, Brett treats himself to a Caribbean vacation. To his surprise, he ends up at a seaside ball, wearing a G-string and presiding over the festivities as Poseidon, the God of the Sea.   

Mark Matthews left behind his hometown, and his first love, to put down roots in California. With vacation time to use, or lose, Mark books a holiday on the island of St. Lucia, unaware of the surprise reunion Fate has waiting for him. 

Brett cautiously examines the fractured bonds of the past, while questioning the possibility of a future with Mark. It’s simpler for Mark. He won’t settle for anything less than a future tending to Poseidon’s pleasure.

POSEIDON' PLEASURE is available at Amazon and other fine online booksellers.

2 comments:

Stephen Tremp said...

This is the weekend before the last full week of A to Z. You’re amazing for staying with us this long. Thanks for your commitment. You’re almost there. This event only happens once a year, so get ready for the home stretch!

Stephen Tremp
A to Z Cohost
P is for Paranormal Vs. Supernatural

KC Kendricks said...

This ain't my first rodeo LOL!! I've completed the A to Z every year since 2011. Scroll down on the blog home page to see my SURVIVOR badges. I'll be adding one for this year, too.